Mayor Brian Bowman said he hasn’t had a chance to get briefed on the preliminary results of the 2018 Winnipeg Street Census but said he will be reaching out to other government officials and homeless stakeholders.
Bowman said he will reach out to Families Minister Scott Fielding and End Homelessness Winnipeg, an organization the city created and funded under Bowman’s watch with the help of the United Way.
Bowman said the organization was given unconditional funding not contingent on provincial or federal funding.
“It’s such a tremendous need in our community to do a better job on trying to mitigate the occurrences of homelessness,” Bowman said. “There’s just too many Winnipeggers, too many Canadians who are affected by homelessness.”
Bowman said the meeting with Fielding and EHW to see how they can play a collaborative role in better supporting and co-ordinating all of our efforts.
“More needs to be done… but clearly, there’s a greater need for all three levels of government and third parties to do better,” Bowman said.
EPC requested a report on what city hall has done to address poverty in the city and has asked for a report in 180 days.
Collective bargaining takes penultimate step
The Executive Policy Committee has endorsed a new collective bargaining agreement between the city and the Manitoba Government & General Employees’ Union, The Paramedics of Winnipeg, Local 911
The new deal would be a four-year pact that would see yearly wage increases of 2% dating back to Feb. 19, 2017 through to the end of February in 2021.
The union had been without a deal since Feb. 18 of last year. The new agreement will cost the city $3.444 million over the life of the deal.
Other changes would include a 25 cent increased night shift premiums for hours worked between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m., a one-hour reduction in minimum overtime pay (four hours to three hours) when members attend court as a witness and emphasis on on-duty training and reduction in the minimum pay when members attend training while off-duty (six hours to three hours at time and a half).
The new deal now needs approval from council.
Bowman said moving to multi-year budgets would be more difficult to concoct, but said it would compel council to look operating and capital expenditures, and revenues, four years out.
Coun. Scott Gillingham told EPC on Wednesday that he feels multi-year budgets are best practice for the city, but fellow Coun. Brian Mayes argued that if a multi-year budget can be changed from year-to-year to address unforeseen changes, then why have it at all.
Mayes voted against the motion.
Bowman said, in a nutshell, it allows people to plan better over a longer period of time. Bowman’s chief concern would be alignment, particularly from the provincial government.